Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Bread- refined sugar & dairy free.
This banana bread is one of my favourites, is really easy to make and full of healthy whole food ingredients. Made with 100% whole wheat flour and and a touch of natural honey or maple syrup for sweetness they are made with just a few simple ingredients. I also love that they are full of fibre, potassium and also dairy free!
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 mashed ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- Totally optional: 1/2 cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans, chocolate chips, fresh banana slices.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk. (If your coconut oil solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, simply let the bowl rest in a warm place for a few minutes, like on top of your stove, or warm it for about 10 seconds in the microwave.)
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Lastly, switch to a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are ok! If you’re adding any additional mix-ins, gently fold them in now.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. (I used a mini loaf pan and decreased the bake time to 30 mins)
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.