Blackened Chicken Power Bowl with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
Have you had a power bowl before? They are one of my favourite things to eat and they help to keep me on track with eating healthy whole foods. Wellness never tasted so good and you don’t have to sacrifice on flavour to bring yourself a nutricious and delicious meal. These bowls are jam-packed with so many good for you nutrients that keep you full and going all day long.
Let us talk about the star of this bowl. The blackened chicken. The seasoning creates the most incredible spice rub and leaves a black spiced pan seared crust on the chicken. It is bursting with so much flavour in each and every bite!
These power bowls are perfect for a healthy lifestyle, and this blackened chicken recipe is really versatile and can be used as a seasoning rub on shrimp, fish, or roasted sweet potatoes.
The healthy chipotle dressing made with greek yogurt and a few simple ingredients really brings this bowl to life. It is bursting with flavour and is one of my favourite things to drizzle on power bowls, tacos, or to dip my yam fries in. When using it as a dip I like to make mine with half mayo/half greek yogurt so it is extra thick and creamy!
I know that you are going to love these delicious and healthy bowls just as much as I do!
How do you make blackened chicken?
Chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt and pepper all come together in this perfect spice rub. Oil each side of the chicken breasts and rub with the spice rub. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a medium sized skillet and cook the chicken breasts on medium high heat and cook on each side until cooked throughout.
Is blackened chicken burnt?
Blackening is a cooking technique and while it may appear burnt, the dark coloured and deeply flavoured crust is a result of the charred spices.
Blackened Chicken Power Bowl Recipe-
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 sweet potatoes cubed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 tbsp avocado oil (or oil of your choice) divided
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- Cilantro- used for garnish on top
- Optional- 1-2 cups rice or quinoa
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
Healthy Chipotle Ranch Dressing:
- 1 cup nonfat plain unsweetened greek yogurt (or 1/2 cup mayo, 1/2 cup yogurt if you want a thick and creamy dip)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp water to thin dressing if your yogurt is really thick
- Note: I like the combo of mayo + greek yogurt when I’m making this recipe to dip my yam fries in or if I am using it as a drizzle over my tacos or power bowls!
Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until combined. Dressing will last up to one week stored in the fridge!
- Roast the sweet potatoes: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet toss the potatoes, a drizzle of avocado oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 35-45 minutes or until tender.
- Prepare the chicken: In a small bowl add the chili powder, paprika, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Use about 1 tablespoon of the oil the chicken. Rub the spice rub evenly on the front and back of the chicken.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the chicken and cook on each side about 2-3 minutes or until cooked through. Slice chicken and set aside.
- To assemble the power bowls: Divide the chicken evenly with the sweet potatoes, avocado, corn, black beans and place on a bed of shredded lettuce.
- Drizzle with Chipotle Ranch Dressing!
*Option: add 1/2-1 cup of rice or quinoa if you are looking for more of a hearty bowl!