Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins -whole grain, refined sugar/dairy free & packed with zucchini
These Double Chocolate Chip Zucchini muffins are made with whole food ingredients, contain all natural sugars, are dairy free, and packed full of zucchini. They taste just like a chocolate cake but are surprisingly good for you as they are made with an organic whole 4 grain flour blend from Yupik, applesauce, maple syrup, zucchini, and coconut oil. My kids gobbled these up pretty quick! I mean who doesn’t love a good double chocolate chip muffin that tastes like a decedent chocolate cake? I sure do and these are ones you can feel good about eating!
I used a few ingredients from Yupik which is an online retailer that sells high quality, organic, natural food products. They sell everything from nuts, snack mixes, flours, dried fruit and a whole lot more. I’m obsessed with their organic date powder which is just ground up dates and use it as a natural sweetener all the time!
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (I used this gluten free 4 Grain flour from Yupik)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used this one from Yupik)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup grated zucchini (about 1½ zucchinis), lightly squeeze the liquid from the zucchini
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I used these ones from Yupik)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a muffin pan by greasing the bottom and sides (you can grease with coconut oil, butter)
- In a medium bowl, add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Whisk together.
- In a large bowl, add maple syrup, unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk together until smooth.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until everything is combined.
- Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Add the batter to prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!!