Birthday Cake Protein Donuts
Donuts have to be one of my all time favourite treats ever since I was a little girl. While I’ll often allow myself to indulge in the ‘real deal’ on occasion, I love that I can whip up a fresh batch of protein donuts that are a little easier on the waistline in no time. These donuts are baked not fried and made with coconut flour, protein powder, and a no calorie sweetner so they have way less calories and fat than your traditional donut. They are also sugar free and gluten free. I’ve experiemented with a few different recipes and have finally found one that I love! These are super easy to make, soft and really delicious. I also love that you can top them with your favourite flavour of icing and sprinkles. I mean who doesn’t love a fresh donut topped with icing and sprinkles?? I sure do!!
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (I like Perfect Protein by Botanica Health), you can purchase it here at: https://botanicahealth.com/product/perfect-protein-vanilla/
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup sweetener (I used Swerve)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup Swerve no calorie icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl.
- Pour the dry mix into the wet mix and mix until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Pour your batter into your donut pan.
- Bake for 15 min or until the bottom is a golden brown and the top bounces back up when touched.
- Add all ingredients into a stand mixer and blend on high until smooth.
- Continue to add additional milk for desired consistency. Makes 1 1/4 cup or 10 ounces.
- Does not need refrigeration once on donuts.
- Unused frosting can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.
Recipe makes 6 donuts.
Hope you enjoy these as much as I do!!