Gluten Free Baked Meatballs
My family loves Italian food and homemade meatballs are one of my kids’ favourite meals. There are perfect for making during the week as they are super easy and quick. I simply whip up my meatballs, pan sear them on the outside, then pour a jar of tomato sauce on top and pop them in the oven. I find roasting these in the oven in tomato sauce makes them nice and tender and it gives the sauce a nice rich flavour.
I will often make my own homemade marinara sauce or if I’m short on time I will use the Costco Kirkland Organic Marinara. I like that has no added sugar, is organic, and it actually tastes pretty good for a store-bought sauce! You can use any sauce you prefer or if you have time to make your own marinara, I have also included my favourite recipe below!!
You can add the meatballs and marinara sauce to a bed of pasta or zucchini noodles which is my favourite when I’m trying to keep things light!
The Spiralizer I use is from Amazon and I love it!! It’s so easy to use and is reasonably priced. Click the picture below if you are interested in buying one!
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey if you prefer. Sometimes I mix half and half. I like to use fresh ground meat for these as I find if the meat has been previously frozen it can be quite wet and it doesn’t seem to taste as fresh or hold up as well as balls.
1 Tablespoon parsley 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine well using your mixer with the paddle attachment, your hands, or a large fork.
- Gently form balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter or use a mini scoop to form balls.
- I like to sear my Meatballs in a cast iron pan to get a nice crust on the outside. *If you don’t have a cast iron pan you can also use an oven safe pan.
- Lightly spray your frying pan with oil and then brown the Meatballs on all sides on med-high heat.
- Once the Meatballs are browned add your favourite tomato sauce.
- Next bake at 400 degrees about 15 minutes. Cut one of the meatballs to check for doneness.
* Note- you can also freeze any leftovers. If freezing, let the meatballs cool, then place them in a freezer bag or container.
Marinara Sauce Recipe
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed Italian tomatoes 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 1 clove garlic, minced 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 6 tablespoons olive oil 1/3 cup finely diced onion 1/2 cup white wine
- In a food processor place Italian tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped parsley, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the blended tomato sauce and white wine.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.