Marinated Chicken Souvlaki
BBQ season is in full swing and these Marinated Chicken Souvlaki skewers are a perfect way to eat healthy this summer. They take 5 mins to prepare, 2 hours to marinate (for the best flavour), and another 15 mins to BBQ. I like to serve them with tzatziki, a big Greek salad, and a side of pita bread. The fresh squeezed lemon, garlic, olive oil, and oregano give these a zesty flavour that is sure to impress everyone in the family.
This marinade also works well with tofu, lamb, or beef so you can use the protein of your choice. You can also add cut up bell peppers on the skewers if you want to add extra veggies. If I’m entertaining I like to make them with peppers to add some colour. I just lightly coat the veggies with olive oil before grilling and then I sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper. I also often make my own garlic tzatziki sauce and have included the recipe below. Happy Grilling!
Chicken Souvlaki Marinade
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
6 wooden skewers
Greek Yogurt Tzatziki
1 (6 oz) container plain unsweetened Greek-style yogurt
1/2 english cucumber peeled and grated
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp white vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pinch salt
- Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, 2 cloves minced garlic, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large resealable bag. Add chicken, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Mix yogurt, cucumber, 1 tablespoon olive oil, vinegar, 1 clove minced garlic, and 1 pinch salt together in a bowl. Refrigerate tzatziki sauce for flavors to blend, 1 to 2 hours.
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Soak wooden skewers in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto the soaked skewers. Discard unused marinade.
- Cook the skewers on the preheated grill, turning frequently until nicely browned on all sides and chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 8 minutes per side. Serve with tzatziki sauce.