Healthy Carrot Zucchini Muffins with Goat Cheese Icing
These healthy muffins are super moist and taste just like mini carrot cakes. They are one of my kids favourite snacks and I have to admit they are one of mine as well. I love that they are packed full of veggies, contain whole wheat flour, and are sweetened with honey!
These muffins are good on their own or dressed up with a blanket of creamy frosting.
For those of you who haven’t tried goat cheese frosting before, it is really yummy and tastes just like cream cheese icing but slightly more tangy. Don’t worry tho if you aren’t a goat cheese fan, you can leave them naked or top them with cream cheese icing if you like!!
Recipe makes approx 24 and the leftovers freeze well.
Carrot Zucchini Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F and place your rack in the center of the oven. Grease your muffin pan or use muffin liners if you prefer.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- In a second mixing bowl mix the honey, coconut oil (melted and cooled), egg, and vanilla together.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Add the grated zucchini, carrot, and raisins into the batter.
- Fill each muffin tin until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool on a baking rack, frost once cooled, and enjoy!!
Goat Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4oz of goat cheese, or 6 oz of cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups confectioners’ sugar for goat cheese frosting or 2 cups for cream cheese frosting
1. Heat butter in a microwave-safe dish in microwave on high for 7 seconds.
2. Transfer butter to a bowl and beat with cream cheese and vanilla extract with an electric mixer until mixture is nearly fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. Gradually stir confectioners’ sugar into cream cheese mixture to make a smooth frosting.
4. Store in refrigerator.