Bliss Balls- Healthy No Bake Coconut Snowballs
I call these bite sized little morsels Bliss Balls. They are gluten-free and a healthier version of a Bounty Bar. I don’t know about you but I LOVE the combination of coconut and chocolate. This year I was looking for something a little healthier to make for Christmas. I wanted something that wasn’t full of processed sugar and flour. These little treats fit the bill and are perfect to give away as a little gift to friends and family during the holidays.
While they still have sugar in them, with the maple syrup and the dark chocolate, they are WAY healthier than the original version. The dark chocolate is full of antioxidants, minerals, and fiber. When it comes to dark chocolate the higher the percentage of cocoa the better so I always try to use a min of 70% dark chocolate. This way I maximize the nutritional value of my treats as much as I can.
The coconut is rich in fiber and loaded with essential vitamins/minerals like potassium, magnesium, and calcium. The added coconut oil is a good source of energy, can boost metabolism, and aids in fat loss when eaten in moderation.
The key here is moderation. Even though these are a healthier version they still contain sugar and are high in fat. While they provide more nutrients, no processed sugar, and are made with a healthier fat you still want to make sure you don’t eat the entire batch. I know you’d likely prefer me to tell you that they are super healthy and that you can eat the whole tin BUT my philosophy is all about moderation. I eat healthy majority of the time but definately enjoy to indulge in some bit sized treats every once in a while!!
That being said I must warn you because these little balls of bliss are so yummy that you may be tempted to eat the whole batch once you try them. I know I had to place the container in the back of my fridge so I didn’t keep reaching for more. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!! The recipe makes about 24 little snowballs.
2.5 cups of unsweetened coconut
6 tbsp. of coconut oil
6 tbsp. maple syrup
4 tbsp. coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of sea salt
Organic dark chocolate (1 cup)
1. Place 1.5 cups of shredded coconut in a food processor. Add 4 tbsp. of coconut oil and blend until it’s creamy like butter, scraping off the sides of the bowl as you go.
2. Add the coconut milk, vanilla, maple syrup, and a small pinch of salt and blend together until smooth.
3. Add the remaining coconut and process at high-speed until a dough forms.
4. Roll the mixture into 1″ balls. Note-if the mixture is wet and sticky you can place the batter in the fridge for 20 mins until it stiffens and then roll them into balls.
5. Place the balls in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
6. Melt your dark chocolate in a small double boiler on minimal heat for 1-2 mins until melted.
7. Take the coconut balls out of the fridge and dip them in the melted chocolate using a spoon, then place them on parchment paper. Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top while they are still wet and then place them in the fridge for 5-10 mins.
Store these Bliss Balls in the fridge to keep them fresh but serve them at room temperature to enjoy!
*recipe was adapted from Pinterest